Galveston

Monday, November 24, 2008

Monday's Musing

To start off the week, I want to share a quote from one of my favorite authors: John C. Maxwell which is an internationally recognized leadership expert.

"Success is achieved in inches, not miles." John C. Maxwell

This simple statement carries so much more meaning than the few words can express. While deployed to Afghanistan, this type of forethought would have helped a great many leaders throughout the AOR. Leaders sometimes lose sight of the mission because they are looking too far forward at their goals (usually self-serving).

While I was stationed at the Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs, one of my bosses had to remind me to take a look at the mountains from time to time. I had lost sight of the daily successes of working with the cadets and needed to refocus. We all need to look ahead to see where we want to go, but we also take a look around to see what is going on.

Successes can be found in every inch along your travels...it's the journey, not the destination.


No comments: