Galveston

Sunday, November 27, 2011

What SUP - let the building begin

Today, I finally got off the couch and have started a new adventure (read this a project).  This adventure is another Adventure in Blue, but it will be blue water and not Blue AF.

This adventure all started with "Q"and his brother, "P".  When I was departing the fav local of Cocoa Beach, I had the opportunity to see a Hollow Wood Surfboard in action.  Then again in January of this year, I got another glimpse of the famed Hollow Wood surf machine in action, when "Q" showed off his wooden Longboard...yes he owns a hollow wooden longboard and it's a beauty!!  However, he only surfed it a little while because of a crack in the glass and she was taking on water.

So I had the bite and wanted to have me one.  Over the past 15 months I have researched on the net for a way to "build" my own surfboard.  I have looked at hollow wooden surfboards, DIY Home Depot pink/blue foam boards, kits, EZ-foam blanks and every other possibility.  However, I keep coming back to those beautiful hollow wood surfing machines.

 
I think I may become close friends with Lowes or Home Depot during this project...today we made the first deposit on some basic items...
So today, I started with getting the pieces/parts for building the Shaping&Glassing stands.  I am still looking for the materials to build the rib&spars for my hollow wood behemoth of a 11 foot 6 inch SUP (standup paddleboard).  I have used the starting shape from a 9 foot 3 inch PIG longboard and made it longer and wider.

Some supplies for the Shaping Stands

The 9'3" PIG dims are:
Length - 9'3"
Width - 22 9/16"
Thickness - 3"
Volume: 71.25 litres
Tail: width 16 1/2" x thickness 1 3/4"
Center: width 22 1/2" x thickness 2 15/16"
Nose:  width 16 1/4" x thickness 1 1/2"

The "BigBlue" SUP dims are:

Length - 11'6"
Width - 30 3/4"
Thickness - 4 1/4"
Volume: 169.89 litres
Tail: width 20 5/16" x thickness 2 1/16"
Center: width 30 3/4" x thickness 4 1/4"
Nose: width 20 3/8" x thickness 1 5/8"

After I assemble the Shaping Stands, I'll need to get the 1/4" marine grade plywood for the rib and spars.  Didn't realize that it was going to be so tough to get some of the materials.  Once I have the Rib and Spars together, I'll need to make a trip to Ikea for some paulownia blinds...yeah I know, crazy but you can supposedly get a set of blind at Ikea to surface the board...going to give it a try.


The biggest challenge I see is the shaping/building the rails.  This still scares me a LOT!!!!  Not sure if I will get this right and the buildup is strips or solid design.  Still thinking through this.


Then comes the glassing of the SUP.  New ground for me, but I think I can do it.  I plan to practice a little before putting glass on the board.


Wish me luck.  This will be a LONG term project...no need in speeding through this!!!!


Mahalo to all of the websites and diagrams I could find on the net.  While I think a "kit" would have been the best way to start this, I want to give it a go...so here we GO!


MiB









No comments: