Galveston

Sunday, December 26, 2010

Day 191 - Day after Christmas

Working on Christmas makes one very tired.  It was a very LONG day yesterday, but well worth it!  

The day started off with a 10K Fun Run.  Now normally, I really like these races, but it was Christmas morning and I wasn't sure I wanted to get up to make the run.  However, after my alarm went off, I got up, got ready and headed to the starting line ONLY to be surprised that the gym staf hadn't done a time hack with and began the race about 5 minutes early.  As I ran up to the starting line, the race clock had "2:00 minutes" and counting.  In fact, most of the runners had already made the first turn on the course...I was well behind the "group" of runners.  Well, with no time to waist, I took off to play catchup with the racers.  

The only thing worse than having to play catchup to the runners was passing so many runners who disregard the need for safety and wear two earbuds.  I think I corrected about 100 people on the course...or at least it felt like 100 people.  

Even with a late start and having to correct so many people on the run, my time was not too bad.  I ran a 45:41...not too bad for an old man who doesn't really run the 10K distance very often (read this to mean ever)!  In fact, I've been swimming more of late and running is taking a back seat to training.  However, it hasn't impacted my run times.  I'm not sure if it's the swimming or lack of caffeine intake.  Oh well...something seems to be working to improve my run times.

Well, after the Fun Run, I met up with theBoss and we made a trip around the base to see our Airmen at work on Christmas.  The work never stops, even on Christmas as we execute this war.  If the enemy doesn't take a break, why should we?  No time off for those doing the work that needs to be done.  In fact, theDefenders gave us a carol or jingle as we came through the gate.  They even dressed up for the day...just to be in the Christmas spirit.

Then it was off to serve the Airmen at the DFac (Chowhall).  And surprise, they put me on the carving of the turkey.  Why would they do that????  I don't even like turkey.  Let me tell you this though, it was busy work for the 2 hours of serving turkey to the Airmen, Sailors, Soldiers, civilians, contractors and TCNs eating.  I tried to "sell" the drum stick to many, but only a few took me up on the offer...it was a little large in size. :)
 
After lunch, I had Christmas dinner with my deployedDaughter (she's one of the Airmen who works in the PA shop and is about the age of 'lilBlue.  Since the PA staff had all redeployed home, she was all alone and I told her I would have dinner with her.  It was a nice dinner...and great conversation.  

After dinner, we headed to the Christmas Parade and then off to visit some more Airmen around the base.  We found the following Rock Snowman in front of the Civil Engineers...I guess this is one way to get into the spirit of the season.


I finally ended the day by going to the Christmas Day services at the Chapel.  It was a repeat from the Christmas Eve services...but worth going.    After that, I came back to the room to make telephone calls on Skype.  Called MrsBlue and the FamDamily.  I even tried to call 'lilBlue with no luck...she did post on FB for me to call back, but I didn't stay online after not getting an answer.  


Oh how I wish I was with the MrsBlue and 'lilBlue for the holdiays.  I sure do miss them!  


Now Christmas is over and we are headed to the New Year.  Let 2011 begin!

1 comment:

Bettina said...

I so hope the caffeine free drink your d.daughter had was by choice :)