Galveston

Sunday, June 10, 2012

Board Buildup

Underside with the reinforcements for fins
ALL of those wood shavings

It's been Slooooooow going of late on the Hollow Wood Surfboard build. I know, why can't get this thing done. However, it's a labor of love building up a board that someday I hope I'll get to ride! My own ride...made with my own hands, how cool.

It has been very interesting "learning" how to do some of this wood working stuff. I thought I knew what I was doing, but lo and behold...I had some learning to be done.

It's often funny to hear MrsBlue when I'm making a mess in the garage. She doesn't like the sanding sawdust floating around. It provides a nice fine coat of "dust" on everything. Usually, I take it outside, but every once in a while, I just get at it right where it is -- in the garage.

The slow down has been because of family visits, SUPing (got to get in the water when you can) and exercises (of the government kind). I know, excuses are not what I should be providing...but it's all I have. I do put a few minutes in when I can...like last night! I couldn't sleep so around 2 a.m. I was out there trying not to make too much noise. But it was nice...just me, the night and the wood.

Isn't that PRETTY...just look at those lines....can you say FAST
The pictures attached today are recent. I've added some internal structure for the fins, just in case I decide to have removable fins vs glassing them on. As you can see, a hand plan is a good thing...just look at the wood chips all over the place. Also, the top of the board looks like some fine racing stripes. I'm sure this board will be Faaaaaaassssssssttttttt! Once I have the internals in place, I'll be ready to add the bottom skin, which going to be a piece of plywood. It'll look nice! Then it's on to the rails!
Good looking pointy nose.

Sleek and fine looking

No comments: