Galveston

Sunday, November 07, 2010

Day 141 - Chiefs Running the Town

Today was FUN!  Hanging out with the group Chiefs and going downtown.  


We started off with stopping by the Islamic Museum and saw some interesting things from the Ottoman Empire.  However, the architecture of the building itself was probably the coolest thing.  As we arrived, we kind of tried to figure out what we were doing...


Here's the CREW (Vince, Stacy, Trenda, Dan and CMac)



It was fun and here is a cool picture of a horse and rider with their wartime garb.


Like I said, I really thought the architecture was pretty cool.  They had the following view which looked over the skyline.  It was kind of cool to see...






After the Museum, we made our way to the Gold Souq to get the necklaces and walk around...The Three Brothers were just showing up when we walked up...so we were the first customers of the afternoon.






The spices are AMAZING...As we walked around the souqs, the smells really filled the air...we then went into one of the stores....look at these spices.




They also sell some funny things.  Look at these chickies...all colored....INTERESTING!




We even stopped a local police officer to have our picture taken with him.  I know the stories he'll have when he gets home tonight.  Hey honey, you won't believe the day I had today...Some crazy Americans stopped and wanted to have a picture with me...those Tourist...their funny.



We finally made it to dinner at a little hole in the wall called the Istanbul.  Not sure I need to go back since it wasn't something I really liked.  However, there was plenty of food and it was OK.  I would rather have went to Al Bandar...with some Mint Lemonade.  However, not going to be picking when I get a chance to go along with the others.  Maybe next time, Al Bandar...here I come.


It's nice to be NORMAL for a little while by taking off the uniform.  If you didn't know any better, you would think I'm on vacation somewhere...well I'm NOT!


No comments: