Galveston

Monday, April 11, 2011

Flying over Iraq

The last two days were great. Up early Sunday and flying again. The plan was for us (me and the Boss) to visit one of our detachments in Iraq. It was our first visit to this location. 
Bunkers bombed during the 1st Gulf War

So we took off early for a normal refueling mission and then they dropped us off for the night. We were fortunate to refuel a few Vipers (F-16s). What a sight to see them up close and personal to the refueler and getting a little gas. They were loaded, but seemed to be doing the same as us...flying around Iraqi airspace with little action.
Beautiful...refuel to protect the guys on the ground
Waiting for his buddy to gas and go back to work

However, this trip had me thinking. You might ask about what...,Iraq is NOT a safe place. There are still some small arms fire and indirect fires taking place. Not that I don't feel safe, but I was required to get my side arm (M9) and bring my IBE. What does that say?

So as I was flying, I got to thinking about MrsBlue and LilBlue! Is this all worth it? I LOVE what I do, but I sure have missed a lot of my family time over the years. I have been blessed to have a wonderful family and they seem to have adjusted to it al, but... I MISS THEM! Boy, I hope it is a peaceful night.

Something that ran through my brain last night as I was getting ready was...have I told them how much they mean to me? Do they know how much I love them? Do they realize I love BigBlue, but I love THEM more!!! 

So as I sit here flying over the skies of Iraq, I am a little "touched" and want to say it loud....
MrsBlue and LilBlue...I LOVE YOU! And thank you for loving me back. I could never repay you for the times we have spent apart and I will hope to make it up to you in the future. 

Now that I'm safe and sound back at my "undisclosed location'" I'm going to call MrsBlue and LilBlue to let them know just how much they mean to me!

143
MiB
(AKA to LiLBlue -- dad)

No comments: