Galveston

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Run Run Run Runaway

Today started way to early.  We had the Stars and Stripes sponsor a 10K (that’s 6.2 miles for those non-runner types) which had a start time of 0500 (or 5 a.m. for those non-military types).  So I had it all planned out…get to sleep early and have a great night’s rest, wake up refreshed and then off to RUN!

This plan started out perfectly.  I hit the bed about 1030 which is quite early for me.  I didn’t fall asleep right away, but did sleep good…until 0330 when my body said “Time to get up!”  I was not ready for this internal alarm clock and really didn’t want to get up.  But I know myself and staying in bed only means I’m more tired…so I got up, took a shower (yeah that is kind of weird to take a shower before I get all sweaty and watch TV.  I know, I know, a guy my age running a 10K race should probably do some stretching or warm-ups, right?  Well you don’t know me very well do you…stretching only gets me HURT!  I usually pull something that should get pulled when I stretch.  I’m one of those runners who just puts on the shoes and starts running.  While it may not be fast, it’s still running (I think that’s what you could call it).

I then made my way over to the start and talked with a few of the other runners.  We had a good contingent of CMSgts out there running…good leadership!  That’s me over on the right side a few rows back.  I’m not sure what I’m doing, but I’m sure it’s something like playing with my iTouch.  I’m probably also thinking “what am I doing out here with all of these young people running a 10K?  I’m going to get hurt and I better take it slow…real slow.”



However, the race finally started and here we go…the rabbits were of quick and I was quickly losing ground.  I can’t go that fast unless I’m in a car. 


After the first lap, I was looking pretty tired and we had three more to go.  What was I thinking to run this fast (I mean fast for me not fast for others).

The morning was beautiful to start…just look at this sunrise.


Each lap I tried to get the spectators involved by having them do “the WAVE”.

Lap #2 - still looking good

Lap #3 - not looking so good

After finishing my 4 laps, I joined the boss on one more lap for him to finish.  It was GREAT running with my Wingman.


It was a good run with a 45:28 10K which equates to a 7:19 per mile pace.  Maybe I’m old and my running doesn’t look pretty, but I still got leg!


No comments: