Galveston

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Day 240 - Space Kadets in the AOR

Coming back made me wonder why do I agree to do these things that take me away from the ones I love.  Maybe I'm just not too smart!  However, I am looking forward to spending time with MrsBlue again very soon...this time in Hawaii!!!!  R&R will be great as we head to the Oahu to catch waves, catch sun rays and catch some time together.

We had some heavy hitters here this week with the Undersecretary of the Air Force and the Vice Chief of Staff (General Breedlove...my old wing commander from Aviano) coming through for a visit.  It was nice to see him, even though he doesn't remember me...back then I was a New CMSgt Select...nothing in the big scheme of things.  However, he is good friends with my current boss...interesting how small the Air Force really is.  

After these folks came and went, we were then blessed with another group from my past...Air Force Space Command's leadership (the Vice Commander...Major General Basla and my old boss from the 45th Space Wing...Major General Bolton).  It was good to see them both here in the AOR...nice to see familiar faces :)  I think I even surprised Maj Gen Bolton when I was waiting for him at his quarters upon arrival...he almost walked right past me as he was going to his billeting.  We had a quick conversation, but they visited the Wing on Saturday.  We gave them the "real deal" tour to show off our planes, people and mission...something we love to do.  With great people here, this is easy to do...their professionalism speaks for itself...they are taking the war to the enemy...every day!

There is some sad news this week when theBoss was told he needed to head back to the states for some medical support.  I am worried he won't be returning, but am lifting him up!!!  It won't be the same without him around...he's a great man and a gentleman for sure.  Hopefully, this trip will be short lived and he'll be back in no time.

Anyhow, I am back in the swing of things and during my first week back...I found myself frustrated (many times) throughout the week.  At times, I would say...it's time to throw in the towel and move on with life.  In fact, I look at each day and wondered (sometimes for hours) why do I continue to serve.  However, I'm not sure if it was just a bad week or if I really need to make a change.  Some of this has to do with the unknown...what my next job will be, where we will be and other things...  I will tell you, giving it all up and living in a van with surfboards attached on the roof, sounds pretty enticing right now.  We'll see...maybe this week, some news will come about the future.
 

No comments: