Galveston

Monday, February 21, 2011

Day 248 - Holidays in the AOR

I'm not sure, but someone said today was a holiday.  What's with the holidays in the AOR?  Do they really take place or is it just another day?  I think when I get back to the world, the AF is going to owe me a lot of days off!  I have found that time is lost while deployed.  You lose track of time and days all run together.

Today was the memorial for our Airman who died last week.  The Defenders did a great job of running this and making a fitting memorial ceremony for the one we lost.  

As I listened to TAPS, it brought back a lot of feelings...Arlington, Afghanistan and here.  I remember standing at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier for hours on end watching, waiting, listening...I don't think 'lilBlue remembers those many Sunday afternoons, but they ring clearly in my mind during this war.  In fact, I often think back to those afternoons, safely standing and watching with precision those professional soldiers from the Old Guard.  How much time was needed in practice to make these soldiers so precise?

Sometimes, we need to lose track of time so that we can focus.  Other times, it's to get away from it all.  

Time -- oh how precious
1) take time to spend with your family
2) don't waste time...once it's gone you can't get it back
3) never forget, every minute counts

 

No comments: