Galveston

Friday, July 02, 2010

Day 13 -- And the heat is ON!

HEAT has new meaning now that I have been here for about two weeks.  Yes, I can officially say, "this is the hottest place I have ever been!"  
With a prediction in the 110 degree Fahrenheit every day with turns to 120 on other days, I can say it is officially summer in the Southwest Asia.  However, they keep telling me that HOT is still a few weeks away...just wait for July and August when all of the locals leave the country.  Hey, can I take a trip out of here in August too?  


But.............it's a dry heat for now!  The wind will soon enough change directions and come from the coast which will change the humidity level to about 90 every day.  With the heat and then add humidity, I'm not sure I am ready for that.





Tonight on the way home, I had to take a picture of the time/temp in the car.  Yes, what you see here is the night time temperature...So, at 2130 it's a cool 99 degrees!   Can you imagine what the daytime heat is?  Much HOTTER!











Richard, I'll take less heat for 100!  


What amazes me each and every day is our Airmen.  Yes, these young guys (and old ones too) who work tirelessly on the flightline, at the gates and just about everywhere around the base.  They have a smile on their face as the sun fries their skin!  What amazing people we have who VOLUNTEER to serve our country.  Can you imagine asking a snot nose kid back in America to do something like this?  To get off the couch and quit playing PSP to stand out in the hot, baking sun for 6-12 hours per day for 6 straight months?  What do you think the answer would be?  I'm sure it would be something like "Are you kidding me?" or  "Are you CRAZY?"  


And my answer would probably be YES!  But these Airmen do it without complaint, grip or concern.  They are smiling and having the time of their life.  I only wish the world could see these great American's who do it all and are HAPPY about being here. 


I think serving a cause much bigger than themselves leaves one with a sense of pride and satisfaction for a job well done.  What can I say but,  THANK YOU Airmen!   You are truly professionals in every sense of the word.



No comments: