Galveston

Friday, July 09, 2010

Day 19 - Gut Check

Today was a good gut check for me!  I had a good friend send me a little note and mentored me on being a good Chief.  It was well deserved and I appreciate his insight and thoughts.  Without people who are willing to hold you accountable, how do you get better?  I'm not sure, but I know I am 100% sure I don't have 100% of the answers.

What happened to old fashion mentorship...not the kind we do via electronic myEDP, but real, in your face, what are you thinking type of mentorship?  Really, is this a lost art or do people just don't care anymore.  

I am thankful for many people who have had words of...get your act together kind of statements.  Each time they were 100% on target.  Does that mean I don't know what I'm doing?  Well, yes...sometimes I am clueless.  However, it really means I'm still learning.

Learning...both on and off the job, in and out of the classroom.  I need good teachers who are willing to take a little of their time to make a difference in someone's life.  I have tried many times to be that teacher to the young Airmen I come across.  Am I successful???? I don't know but I keep trying to help them.  The true test of success will not be measured by me or anyone of my supervisors. It will be measured by the Airmen each and every day!!!

As my friend put it recently to me...this is not the Larry Malcom show...and he's right!  This has never been and never will be about me.  I do get to enjoy some great opportunities, but they are for learning how I can better take care of AIRMEN!  My only joy is from seeing Airmen succeed...

No comments: