Galveston

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Flying High

Well I have been traveling for the past 15 hours. Stops in San Francisco and Washington DC have broken up my legs from Honolulu.

The young lady at the United Airlines counter in Hawaii was AWESOME! She worked really hard to take care of me and ensured my seats were AWESOME! I had an exit row from Honolulu to San Fran and another decent seat (window -- not my preference) to DC. But it was an exit row with only 2 seats in front of me...lots of leg room!

Now the long flight awaits me! It's an Aisle, but not an exit row! But they do have videos at every seat...so better movies (my choice).

I still need to clean up a little before the last leg. Right now, I'm charging all of the e-devices in case I need to watch a surfing video to keep the stoke.

In 15 hours, I should be touching down for my last push. I've been going through emails...work to be done when I return! Good thing for me since that means job security! Believe me, I have plenty of work to get done and not much time left. It will be a fast, neck breaking sprint to the finish of this year long deployment. While I have enjoyed my time in the AOR once again, I'm ready to spend some time with MrsBlue. I realize every time I have to leave her at the airport that I really don't understand why I volunteer for these trips that take me away from her and LilBlue. What am I thinking???

However, I do love myAF and the job I do! No matter what I am doing (IT, computers, people, talking, briefing, Airmen, etc.) I love the BigBlue.

BigBlue has opened opportunities I couldn't have imagined some 24+ years ago. All of this was a pipe dream! Now here I sit, serving in the BEST force worldwide alongside the BEST Airmen anywhere. In fact, these are some smart Dudes! We have Airmen making big decisions each and everyday. These decisions have life changing consequences and they do it with calm and composure. Just talk to a JTAC some day...young and self assured even when under fire.

But it's not just the Airmen, but the leadership. Some of the finest Leaders in the world chose to give up 6 figure incomes to spend countless days away from their loved ones. And what for? A chest full of fruit salad (decorations)? No it is much more of an intangible thing like Patriotism! These Patriots serve to keep us free. It's those 1% of the 1% of the US population that make up the BigBlue. These Warriors (KOA) are the only reason we have Fortune 100 companies and people like Warren Buffet, Bill Gates and Steve Jobs. Without Airmen making a small wage with little fanfare, where would these companies be? They do it not because they can't get another job, but because they believe in the United States.

Are you a Patriot? Think about it...what have you sacrificed to make this country great? If you say I'm some MuckiMuck of some big corporation maybe you need to rethink what your contributions to this society really have been.

I remember a friend who served in BigBig for 20+ years and never deployed saying "what have I contributed?.". Well, if you serve or have served in the Armed Services...YOU have contributed!

Thank You Patriots
Man In Blue

No comments: