Galveston

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Makes you think


Today was suppose to be a day of snorkeling, but with wind and rain on the windward side of the island we decided to head west...and went to the Pearl Harbor Memorial.  We got to see the USS Arizona and Mighty MO!  We also went on the USS Bowfin...a submarine who took the fight to the enemy after the attack on Pearl Harbor. (http://www.bowfin.org/

The visit really hit home thinking about all of those lost lives in such a short time.  Made me think of the countless Fallen Warrior ceremonies that pass through our station!!!  Also, it made me grateful I have not paid the ultimate sacrifice myself...

Here's a picture of the USS Arizona Memorial...




After returning from the morning tours, we hit the beach.  My girls laid out and I went surfing at Kaisers.  It's very interesting when there is more water over your head than under your board.  Exciting and dangerous all at the same time.  Makes you want to stay on the board even more!  I had a few good waves, but it was crowded and hard to maneuver around all of the surfers.  But I had some fun :)

BTW: there are about 125 AFA cadets here on a sponsor base trip during Spring Break.  A few were on the beach this afternoon and in the hot tub tonight.  Interesting crew...fun, talkative and intoxicated (somewhat).  During our time at the hot tub, they had everyone entering tell -- where you were born, where you live now and you story!  It made the hot tub very enlightening.

No comments: